With the holidays fast approaching it is important to consider a few safety tips to keep our fury friends out of harms way.
1) The Tree: Keep it tightly secured to avoid tipping over. If you have a "real" tree don't forget to cover the water. Standing water is an opportunity for bacteria to grow.
2) Tinsel: This glamorous decoration might look great on the tree, but if it's swallowed it means an unset stomach and possibly an emergency visit to the vet. An alternative might be to use decorative ribbon woven and secured around the tree.
3) Candles: Unattended open flames are a hazard for pets and our other family members. We recommend using the electric flameless candles and oil warmers. In combination these offer mood lighting and fresh scents. Not a fan of oil warmers, then try reed diffusers (strongly recommend Pier 1 diffusers which come in many scents). According to the National Candle Association nearly 10,000 residential fires are caused by the misuse of candles with December having the highest incident rate.
Here are some other pet safety tips. From our family to yours, enjoy the holidays and be safe.